Sunday, October 23, 2011

Where Do I Come From

As you have noticed my English is terrible. And I APOLOGISE for that. The reason is that English is the third language I speak therefore my language skills are far away from perfect. I speak Lithuanian (my native language) and fluent Russian. I know French and German and English. I blog in English because I want to share my life with people who have similar interests and English enables me to do so.

Thus more of where do I come from:
  • I live in Lithuania. A country that has 3,3 million inhabitants.

  • I speak Lithuanian. The language is the oldest living language of the Indo-European family. 8.83.6% of the Lithuanian population are ethnic Lithuanians who speak the Lithuanian language.


  • In 14th century Lithuania was the biggest country in Europe: it included present territories of Belarus and Ukraine, part of Poland and part of Russia.

  • Lithuania has 99 kilometers (61.5 mi) of sandy coastline.

  • Lithuania was the last pagan country in Europe that accepted Christianity. Yes, we’re slow.

  • Lithuania is the Geographical Centre of Europe is 26 km to the North of Vilnius (the capital) as it was found by The National Institute of Geography in France.

  • Lithuania is a land of storks. Every year there are around 15,000 pairs of white storks raising their young.

  • Lithuania is one of the several countries in the world where the most popular sport is Basketball. Yes, we’re tall. I myself 178 cm (5’10)

  • Lithuania is the only country in the world having national perfume. “The Scent of Lithuania” is perfume for home. It holds the entire history of our nation…

  • Lithuanians first in the world invented way to make vodka from corn. Yes, we drink a lot. You can see it in my blog.


  • The average Lithuanian, if asked about the national dishes, without blinking an eye would offer cepelinai (potato and meat dish), vÄ—darai (intestines stuffed with potatoes) or potato pancakes. Yuk!


  • Lithuania is 1st in the world by the number of hot air balloons per resident.  And Vilnius is one of a few European capitals where you can fly with hot air balloons. I do it quite often.


  • Lithuania owns the world record of blondes. I’m almost a blonde, but not quite.


  • Not bad however it’s cold here: average temperature: January -5o C, July +17o C.


1 Where do you come from?
2 What languages do you speak?
3 Would you like to visit Lithuania?  

5 comments:

  1. dear greta, i love this post! believe it or not, i didn't know that storks were actual real creatures! i just thought they were urban legends!

    1. i come from pittsburgh, pennsylvania, united states of america! i'm still here, but the move to new york shall happen BY february of 2013.

    2. i speak english fluently, spanish brokenly, and i'm learning french! i have an intense desire to learn russian, one day, when i have time!

    3. yes, i would love to visit lithuania, pending a fabulous ex bulimic party arrangement! :) xxx

    thank you for a lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, let’s have a party in summer!!! Then you can see a bunch of storks (they like squirrels -everywhere) and practice some French and Russian.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was so excited to read this post! I'm 1/4 Lithuanian! Before reading this post, I knew nothing about the country though. My maternal grandfather was 100% Lithuanian but he was born in the US. However, he was very tall and blonde! :) But he married my Sicilian grandma and thus, I am a total mutt, mix of everything American. I speak English and sadly, that's it. Anyway, I loved all the facts about Lithuanian, especially the hot air balloons and the perfume.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1 Where do you come from?
    Australia! I am so lucky to live here - it is beautiful.

    2 What languages do you speak?
    English. Haha.
    Also a little bit of German (mine deutsch is kaput!). I am trying to learn Spanish in preparation for my travels next year but I'm not having much success.

    3 Would you like to visit Lithuania?
    Yes! I would love to.

    I read this post last night before bed and then I dreamt of Lithuanian perfume. I have never had a dream involving scent before! It was strange but lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would welcome ALL my blog friends in my country and my house! SERIOUSLY.
    Especially you, Lola! I’m so happy you are ‘almost’ Lithuanian.

    ReplyDelete