Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Does Skinny Connote Having an ED?

Today I wore black. I love this color. Other than, black makes me look skinny. Today, once again I was asked about having an eating disorder: Anorexia! I said “No! I’m an ex-bulimic. I’m in recovery” The curious person “You can’t be. You are too skinny for bulimic”
REALLY?

Why do people make such strong assumptions about other people? This is particularly annoying when you do not know someone. Take for example, an individual who is naturally skinny. There are just those skinny people in society. People who eat shitloads and they have no muscle mass and they’re boney and skinny. Why people judge about eating disorders based on appearance. Nothing is further from reality here except maybe what your ED head may be telling you. There are fat anorexics and there are skinny bulimics. There are binge eaters who never become overweight. THEY ALL STILL SUFFER NONE THE LESS. Also it seems other people (with active eating disorders) will walk by a skinny girl and then starve for a day. I was doing it. I promise. Now I eat a lot, by it I mean way more than 2000 calories per day, some days even WAY WAY WAY more. I am gaining weight – mostly muscle, because I lift weight and I lift heavy. I’m no way anorexic. I’m just lean. So why do others care so much? Why behind every skinny girl there should be an eating disorder? Isn’t it selfish, or self-centered?
Come on, people, separate yourself from your disordered mind and get on with life.
Also, today I made the most delicious chicken. I know my vegan friends will not approve, but damn, I like the bird. So there is a picture of my creation: chicken, zucchini and paprika - scrumptious!

So, what do you think about skinny people? Do you suspect them to have an ED of any kind?

4 comments:

  1. greta, this post spoke to my heart!
    "Why people judge about eating disorders based on appearance. Nothing is further from reality here except maybe what your ED head may be telling you. There are fat anorexics and there are skinny bulimics. There are binge eaters who never become overweight. THEY ALL STILL SUFFER NONE THE LESS."
    skinny people? i was formerly jealous as moses of them! you saw my skinny cousin's photograph from wedding weekend! all of my life, i've envied her aesthetics. and then, when i started my blog, her mother informed me that she (my cousin) experiences the same ridicule as me, but from a "skinny girl" perspective. it made me so sad that i cried. how can people judge my cousin for being skinny when she doesn't want to be? how can people judge me for weight fluctuations when i don't want to be that way?
    i no longer judge skinny, presentably healthy people, because i firmly believe that they exist naturally . . . but i feel BAD for fat people, because i know they can do something about it . . . and they're really, truly suffering.
    i LOVE your black outfit. tres chic, mademoiselle! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Nicole, in what world are we living?
    I must confess I had always been the one who seeing a skinny gird wondered “what is her secret?” now I am asked about my secret (unhealthy one) and all I want is just scream – IT’S JUST LIFE, people! Live your life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes!
    certainly, we're opening ourselves up to negative commentary through blogging about our lives after bulimia, but we are not judging others . . . they are judging us, online and in real person. just remember that. we're the peaceful ones. and we're happy, and getting happier with each and everyday. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes my eating disorder has taught me that you can never judge the health of someone's eating by their weight. Right now I am eating healthy and excersising regularly and I am gaining weight, even though I am the healthiest I've been for years.
    never assume!!

    ReplyDelete